|Have you heard? I have a new book coming out that I authored with Rachel Gregory, a board-certified Nutrition Specialist, Athletic Trainer and Strength and Conditioning Coach. It's called the 21-Day Ketogenic Diet Weight Loss Challenge: Recipes and Workouts for a Slimmer, Healthier You and it's available for pre-order now.|
Over the past month, the hubs and I have started going to the gym. Nothing too crazy, just mostly strength training and a mile of cardio just for fun. I’m not so much the protein drink kind of gal, and although Quest bars are a nice treat, I don’t want to eat them every day.
So basically, I wanted a “granola.” I looked in my cabinets and threw a bunch of nuts and flavors together. To my surprise, it actually tasted really good. If I wasn’t going low carb and was just doing Paleo, I’d add in some dates and honey for sweetness and the added ooey-gooey.
So much for “protein” bars though, the macros are crazy, it’s 75% fat. You can cut this into 16 slices and they’ll be 3.5 net carbs each.
- 1 cup high quality macadamia nuts
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup Coconut Butter (I used Nikki’s Pecan Pie Coconut Butter)
- 1/4 cup organic peanut butter
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (I use Dagoba 74% chocodrops)
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract (or sugar-free vanilla something or other)
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- In a blender, grind up everything for just a few seconds until blended
- Then, press it into a shallow glass baking dish. I used a shallow glass pie dish.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until it begins to brown on top
- Cut and enjoy!
Then you can cut them into little bars, or crumble it up to eat in a bag. I like it both ways.
Disclosure: I'm not a nutritionist or a medical professional. The recipes and articles on this blog should not replace the advice of your doctor. Also, I only recommend products that I have used and love, but in these cases I may use Amazon.com affiliate links, which means I get paid a small commission if you buy the product. A girl's gotta pay for all these ingredients you know! :)