Low Carb Steak and Pastrami Bomb (+ Keto!)
I’m like the queen of cravings this week. One of my very first keto recipes was this Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers recipe back in 2012 and despite it having a pretty awful photo, taken in a very yellow room with a cellphone, it got over 1500 pins on Pinterest!
This time around, I wanted to beef it up (get it?), so I made a new kind of steaky explosion, the low carb steak and pastrami bomb. The strami bomb. The pastreak bomb. I tried to make it shorter but I think we’re all better off with steak and pastrami bomb. And it really is an explosion of flavor with deli mustard, creamy mayo and cheesy goodness mixed with the complexity of a pastrami and steak marriage. Muah!
Low Carb Steak and Pastrami Bomb
Prep Time: 5 minutes | Cook Time: 15 minutes | Total Time: 20 minutes
Nutritional Facts: 6g Net Carbs| 563 Calories | 43g Fat | 7g Carbs | 38g Protein | 1g Fiber
- 1/2 chopped onion
- 2 tbsp ghee (or olive oil, coconut oil)
- A pinch of rosemary or a tsp of rosemary olive/grapeseed oil (optional – a nice touch)
- 1 lb shaved beef steak
- 1/2 lb red pastrami (cut into 1-2 inch pieces)
- 4 green peppers
- 1 tbsp delicatessen style mustard (I used Boars Head w/ white wine)
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 4 slices of American cheese (or whatever you like)
- Turn oven to 350 degrees, place green peppers standing up on baking sheet and put in the oven.
- In a large frying pan, melt ghee (or oil) and cook onion until translucent on medium (5 minutes or so).
- Add a pinch of rosemary or a tsp of rosemary olive/grapeseed oil (optional)
- Add steak and continue to cook on medium until browned.
- Sprinkle a pinch of salt and pepper over the steak as it cooks. I used grapevine smoked salt.
- Once cooked, add pastrami and cook for another 5 mins.
- Remove green peppers from the oven.
- Turn off burner, strain grease from meat and return to pan.
- Add mustard and mayo then mix everything up so it’s coated evenly.
- Fill green peppers with meat and top with a slice of cheese.
- Turn oven to broil at 500 degrees and cook for 2-3 minutes until cheese is melted.