Dear fellow keto-ers. Do you crave cereal as much as I do? I mean, I rarely even ate cereal before, but now that I can’t have it, I miss it. The same goes for chocolate and ice cream which I never, ever would have craved in the past. Now, when I’m having a bad day, I just want an ice cream cone. Possibly covered in a Hershey’s bar.
Not to say that keto isn’t a craving killer—it is. But just like quitting smoking, the longer you’re off the bad stuff, the further apart the cravings get. When you’re only packing in 20 carbs per day, you’re never hungry. At least I’m not. It actually takes work to cook up a craving most days. My weaknesses are movies that are seriously lacking in the salty fluffy popcorn department.
But I digress…
Cereal. I’ve figured that one out. I’ve posted keto cereal once before, but have drastically improved the already basic formula so I wanted to post again.
- 1 package of Bob’s Red Mill Flaked Coconut
- Ground cinnamon
- Stevia (optional)
- Unsweetened almond milk
- 2 medium-sized strawberries
- Parchment paper / coconut oil
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- If you have parchment paper, line a cookie sheet with it, if you don’t, grease a cookie sheet with coconut oil. Or, come up with your own no-stick option.
- Pour the coconut flakes onto the cookie sheet (use two if you want)
- Cook in the oven for five minutes, watching the whole time.
- Shuffle the flakes around and keep cooking until they’re all a little tan and lightly toasted.
- Take out the flakes.
- Sprinkle lightly with cinnamon. If you want to use Stevia, sprinkle VERY lightly. Taste test until they’re how you like them.
- Throw 1/2 cup of the toasted chips into a bowl and pour the unsweetened Almond milk over them.
- Slice up two strawberries for garnish and a little extra dash of freshness.
I love strawberries, and adding two to my bowl of cereal is just enough sugar without over-doing it. The total net carb count on this is 5.8 grams, with 4.4 grams of fiber! Since it’s good to pack your carbs into the morning, this is a good excuse to toss in a couple of tasty strawberries.