And just when you thought you had nothing but broccoli salad to bring to the BBQ! A week or so ago I was looking at my refrigerator wishing I had something dessert-like to snack on, when I rekindled a fond memory of ambrosia in my mind (minus the walnuts my mom used to add – yuck!) In my first draft, I admittedly went the gangster route — I chopped up two cups of pre-made sugar-free jello. In this draft, I classed it up with the boxed kind. But 2-3 cups of pre-made sugar free jello is totally OK, I won’t tell. Wink wink, nudge nudge.
And yes this veers off the whole foods path because of the jello, but I’m not perfect and it’s better than eating cake. If you go the Splenda Naturals route, you’ll be happy to know there’s no sucralose, it’s just a portable erythritol/stevia blend that I really enjoy.
The best part is that is holds up GREAT in the fridge. For days! So if you’re throwing a party, you can make it the night before, or if, like me, you’re selfish and don’t want to share but want some for every night of the week, it holds up just fine. Hurrah! Make this!
- 1 package of cherry gelatin, prepared and chopped (yes chopped) or 3 sugar-free cups of cherry jello
- 3 cups roughly chopped berries (I used strawberries)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 6 oz room temp cream cheese cut into cubes (must be room temp)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 packets Splenda Naturals or 1 tbsp Steviva Blend
- In a chilled bowl (add to freezer for about 5 minutes), add heavy cream, then use a hand mixer for 3-5 minutes until it becomes whipped cream and can make peaks.
- Add sweetener and vanilla and whip again. Add cream cheese and blend for another couple minutes until smooth (or mostly smooth).
- Gently fold in berries and then prepared gelatin, and enjoy!
Disclosure: I'm not a nutritionist or a medical professional. The recipes and articles on this blog should not replace the advice of your doctor. Also, I only recommend products that I have used and love, but in these cases I may use Amazon.com affiliate links, which means I get paid a small commission if you buy the product. A girl's gotta pay for all these ingredients you know! :)