|Have you heard? I have a new book coming out that I authored with Rachel Gregory, a board-certified Nutrition Specialist, Athletic Trainer and Strength and Conditioning Coach. It's called the 21-Day Ketogenic Diet Weight Loss Challenge: Recipes and Workouts for a Slimmer, Healthier You and it's available for pre-order now.|
If there’s one thing I love about having an herb garden it’s that I can take prettier photos. I know it sounds vain, but like, how much better does this photo look with a little sprig of oregano in the background? You know I’m usually not about the garnish for the sake of a garnish, but in this case I used the heck out of that oregano in this recipe and it came out awesome. And I feel like you’ll see this now and be like dammmmmn I need to try that. And you do, because it’s good. Without the sprig, who knows what you would have thought? It would have been a sprigless shame.
So onto the food, because I love this recipe. Not only is it super simple, but it’s fresh and light, despite mounds of mozzarella. The roasted red pepper (which you can find in a jar, or you can roast yourself) melts in your mouth after it’s baked into the chicken with garlic cloves and fresh basil. You’ll like this one, even if you think you won’t like red peppers, you’ll like it. I swear, it all melds together here in the best way possible.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (bonus if you have garlic-infused olive oil)
- 2 boneless, skinless free-range chicken breasts
- 10 fresh basil leaves
- 8 small herb marinated mozzarella balls (like you find in the deli section)
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 1 roasted pepper, sliced in half the long way
- 1 tbsp all-purpose chicken seasoning (or your favorite seasoning for chicken)
- garlic salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano (or 1 tbsp italian seasoning)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Pound slightly and then butterfly the chicken breasts
- Place fresh basil in each of the breasts, then top with 4 mozzarella balls each, and squeeze garlic cloves between them.
- Top with 1/2 of red pepper on top of the mozzarella.
- Drizzle the marinated oil from the mozzarella over the breasts if you like, otherwise drizzle with olive oil / garlic olive oil.
- Sprinkle seasoning, a decent dose of garlic salt and ground pepper over breasts.
- The sprinkle chopped oregano over the whole thing.
- Place in a glass baking dish, or on a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Bake uncovered for 40 minutes or until internal temp reaches 180 degrees F.
- If you can't find the mini mozzarella balls that are marinated in oil and herbs in your fresh deli section or olive bar, feel free to use a regular ball of mozzarella cut into 4 slices.
Disclosure: I'm not a nutritionist or a medical professional. The recipes and articles on this blog should not replace the advice of your doctor. Also, I only recommend products that I have used and love, but in these cases I may use Amazon.com affiliate links, which means I get paid a small commission if you buy the product. A girl's gotta pay for all these ingredients you know! :)