Collagen is one of those things I never even thought about until I started on Keto when you start to become hyper-aware of ingredients and supplements and other things that help your body perform better. In the past, I’ve tried to make collagen-gummies (utter fail, they tasted like beef, we can talk about that another time) to get more collagen into my diet.
Why? Because collagen is found everywhere in your body, from your skin to bones, to muscles and even in your digestive system. As we get older, we produce less collagen and that’s why our skin gets more wrinkled and we start to develop joint pains. By adding collagen to your diet, it’s been said to help heal your digestive system and improve your skin, hair, and nails along with improving your metabolism and improving your energy.
It’s actually the reason why so many people make and consume bone broth while on keto — all that wonderful collagen! So I was extra excited when I found out one of my favorite sponsors, Perfect Keto had come up with a product that could easily be added to recipes I’m already making, called Keto Collagen (save 20% until the end of December with that link).
Before we get to the recipe, here are some fun facts about Keto Collagen:
- Keto collagen protein pairs grass-fed collagen sourced from cattle in the USA with their premium MCT oil powder at a 2:1 ratio to get you the highest quality of keto-friendly protein on the market.
- Most protein powders digest so quickly that they actually turn into glucose and kick you out of ketosis. Not this stuff. With the MCT powder added in, you’ll stay in ketosis, or even get deeper into ketosis.
Hot Keto Collagen Chocolate
223 calories | 19g fat | 10g carb | 4g fiber | 8g protein | 6g net carbs
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp Chocolate Keto Collagen
- 1 tbsp keto-friendly chocolate chips (I used 10 Dagoba Organic 73% Cacao Chocodrops)
- 1/2 tsp ghee
- 1 tbsp heavy cream
- Bring the coconut almond milk to a steaming simmer over medium heat
- Add the Chocolate Keto Collagen and chocolate chips and mix until completely dissolved and smooth (may take a few minutes)
- Add the ghee
- Pour into a mug, and add heavy cream. Stir.
Whipped cream bonus: In a single-serving blender, or by hand, whip 1/2 cup of heavy cream into a whipped cream. Use as much as desired on your hot chocolate and sprinkle the plain cocoa powder over the top for garnish.
Disclosure: Perfect Keto is my sponsor of the month, however, the content above is my review and point of view. They are offering a 20% discount on Keto Collagen through this link until the end of December.