How to Make Zero Carb Cheese Taco Shells
I’m starting to feel invincible when it comes to making zero carb taco shells these days. Bacon taco shells? Done! Cheese taco shells? Ka-pow!
These are super easy to make in the oven (and I have a microwave hack below, too). The best part is that they hold up just like a traditional, carb-filled taco shell.
How to Make a Cheese Taco Shell in the Oven:
Serving: 1 taco shell
Prep Time: 2 minutes | Cook Time: 15-20 minutes | Total Time: 20 minutes
Nutritional Facts: 4g Net Carbs| 220 Calories | 18g Fat | 4g Carbs | 14g Protein | 0g Fiber
- 1 cup of mild shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat your oven to 400F.
- Arrange two baking sheets with parchment paper and create eight 5” circles using ½ cup of mild cheddar cheese for each.
- Add both sheets to the top rack of your oven and bake for about 15-20 minutes until edges and middle are browned (they don’t need to be hard yet, but they shouldn’t drip).
- Quickly use scissors to cut the parchment paper into four squares, separating each shell, and then insert them into a taco holder. If yours doesn’t have high edges, you can also drape them over a large bowl to form the shell shape.
- Let cool for five minutes, then dab with a paper towel to get rid of excess oil, trim with kitchen shears if you’re feeling fancy, and set aside.
- Fill with your favorite taco fillings and enjoy!
Want an easy hack? You can make simpler, less sexy ones in the microwave. Here’s how to do it:
Prep Time: 0 minutes | Cook Time: 3 minutes | Total Time: 3 minutes
Nutritional Facts: 1g Net Carbs| 206 Calories | 17g Fat | 1g Carbs | 13g Protein | 0g Fiber
- 2 slices of muenster cheese
Steps for Cooking Cheese Taco Shells in the Microwave:
- Place the muenster slices side by side (touching) on parchment/baking paper.
- Microwave for two minutes.
- Now you can either fold it and put it in the refrigerator or crinkle it into a bowl by hand … and put it in the refrigerator.
- Wait two minutes and voila! A hard zero carb shell that you can fill with whatever you want.